The Nantucket United Methodist Church houses the beautiful, historic Appleton organ, one of only five organs built by Thomas Appleton that is still fully functional, and used every Sunday during worship services. It was built in 1831 and transported to Nantucket in 1859 aboard the packet ship W.G. Nettleton.
Originally installed at the rear of the church, it was later moved to the front of the church in back of the altar, and as one walks down the aisle, the beauty of the mahogany case and gold-leaf-covered pipes is striking.
A three-phase restoration of this magnificent instrument began in 1985 by Robert Newton of the Andover Organ Company, with parishioner Barbara de Zalduondo spearheading the effort. Restoration, which included repairs to the wind chest, keyboard, pedal board and pipes, was completed in 2008.
The Appleton organ is featured in the island’s annual Organ Crawl, a concert of all the island’s church organs which takes place annually in October, the Saturday before Columbus Day.
To see the Appleton organ up close and enjoy the music it creates, visit us at Nantucket United Methodist Church today!