The Nantucket United Methodist Church has a long history, dating back to 1799 when itinerant preacher Jesse Lee visited the island.
During the early 1800s, Nantucket was the whaling capital of the world; causing the island population to swell well over 10,000. During this time, the congregation grew and a large church, which would accommodate more than 500 people, was built at its present site on Main Street.
Notable dates in the church’s history:
1800 Original Methodist Church was built on Fair Street
1823 Church at 2 Centre Street was built
1840 Façade alterations performed in Greek revival style
1846 The Great Fire destroys the town; our church is the only wooden structure spared
1856 Traditional whale oil lamps replaced by gas fixtures
1859 Appleton Organ installed
1969 Documentation for Historic American Buildings Survey
1970 Dedication of Wesley Hall in basement
1981 Documentation by Preservation Institute: Nantucket
1995 Placed on 10 Most Endangered Buildings in Massachusetts list